I have been invited to connect with participants in the 'Electronic Village Online' (EVO) upcoming events sometime in February 2018 [ change the date here and link to the online event ]
As a presenter I am going to explore the notion of how Minecraft is affecting our method of loci, reshaping (eroding?) our memory palace skills and with the onset and convergence of mixed reality wearable technology in this space how it may be contributing to the shift in humanity as we know it, especially in younger children who are heavily involved in that space (not place).
The following is how I plan to deliver my presentation and connect with that community of adults online as far afield as Dubai and Canada with me located in Australia.
- Introduction - formal titles, past experience, current projects, links
- Caveat - technological skeptic / techno-optimist statement
- Concepts - realities - augmented / virtual / augmendiated / mixed
- Technologies - MagicLeap, Hololens, Occulus Rift et al.
- Notions - Place, country, memory, time (relative)
- Frameworks - method of loci, memory palace, Kalara, dadirri, socio-ethical
- Hypothesis - Factions (Minecraft) as neural brain wash, placeless corporations
- Discussion - power, control, privacy, politics, policing and perception
- Context - based on links provided
- Questions - open discussion
Minecraft: My Experience and Your Dilemma
As active agents of sociological change children now challenge the researcher stereotype amidst a battleground of virtual, augmented and mixed reality wearable computing. Fractals once closer to philosophical ramblings of the mathematical in the field of chaos theory are now an educative and neurological rearrangement as STEAM gets creative in Minecraft. A dilemma has emerged as participatory netnography reveals the longer term socio-ethical effects of corporations punching through our privacy firewalls, programming our minds and harvesting our creativity.
Recommended Reading / Viewing
- MagicLeap - https://www.magicleap.com/careers
- MetaVison - https://blog.metavision.com/the-future-of-spatial-learning-is-upon-us
- Apple ArKit Augmented Reality Minecraft - https://youtu.be/qFGx9QcE5Gk
- The evolution of Microsoft's HoloLens - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oXEY1J7XxA
- Minecraft VR - https://minecraft.net/en-us/vr/
- The Day I Deleted Minecraft: A Letter To My Son - http://community.today.com/parentingteam/post/the-day-i-deleted-minecraft-a-letter-to-my-son
- How To Help Kids Transition When Playing Minecraft - http://minemum.com/minecraft-transitions
- Popular MMOS - Kids friendly Minecraft - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpGdL9Sn3Q5YWUH2DVUW1Ug
- Dan TDM - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS5Oz6CHmeoF7vSad0qqXfw - gets paid $15,000 a day per, has 17 million subscribers, joined Youtube on Jul 14, 2012 and has had 11,865,674,225 views as of 12th January 2017
- Towards a participatory netnography: collaborating with children in virtual worlds research - https://platformjmc.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/adonkin_netnography_fullpaper.pdf
- Method of Loci - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_loci
- Memory Palace - https://litemind.com/memory-palace/
- Memory Place Technique - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9IOqd1LpkA
- Dadirri - Inner Deep Listening and Quiet Still Awareness - http://www.miriamrosefoundation.org.au/about-dadirri/dadirri-text
- Kalara - https://figshare.com/articles/Kalara_Reveal_Make_Seen/5758833